Friday, February 3, 2012

CONCRETE LEAF

In my last post, I mentioned that I seldom do one project at a time.  If I have green paint in my brush, I have to do at least 2 or 3 projects with that paint.  Soooo, here is another project that I finished while painting the little green shelf.
(hint: if you have to walk away from your project, put your wet brush into a plastic bag to keep it from drying out while you're gone)

A lady who consigns items in my shop brought in these concrete leaves that she'd made.  Only thing is she'd painted them in colors of lavender and orange.  I didn't really like those colors, so I purchased some of them from her and did them in my own colors.  Using the same Glidden 'Green Apple' paint that I used in the last post, I completely covered the top of the leaf, let it dry, then painted the back side.  When it had totally dried, I brushed on Minwax's dark walnut stain.  Let this set for a few minutes, then wipe off some of the stain, leaving it in the veins of the leaf.  This may take up to a day to dry, depending on the humidity. 


 I loved the finished product.  Lay these in your flower beds to hold water for birds, butterflies or pets.  Or, they're perfect containers for bird seed.  But, I thought it'd also make a great fruit bowl. 
Just Google 'concrete leaves' to find many tutorials on making the leaves themselves.  Next time, I'll make my own, THEN paint them...................or maybe I'll just order more from my consignor friend. 

2 comments:

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!