Saturday, February 11, 2012

QUICK DESK MAKEOVER


I recently spotted this desk at one of my favorite (as Mike Wolfe would say) honey holes.  Even though she was covered in dust and was dark and a bit on the ugly side, I could see the potential she possessed.  Soooo, onto my truck she climbed.

After standing in my garage for a few days, I decided to do the same colors and technique that I did on that first little table on my blog....just a few posts back.  So, after sanding away what little shine was left on her, out came my black and white paints.


Her legs and the stretcher bar......all painted white.

Then the top??  Painted black.  So simple, right.  But what a difference already.


In this pic, you can see that the white has been glazed.  I took just about a spoonful of that same black paint, put it on a Styrofoam plate and then added just enough water to make an inky mixture.  This was brushed over the white areas of the desk, allowed to set for just a few minutes, then wiped back with a soft cloth or paper towel........leaving the water stain in the cracks and crevices.  Be sure to leave some on the entire white area to give it an aged look.



That's it. I did use some Johnson's Paste Wax on the top......rub it on, let set til it turns white, then buff it back. This'll give you a pretty sheen. 




She's getting lots of attention in my shop, but no one has taken her home yet.  Wouldn't she make a great computer desk?

20 comments:

  1. Hi Candy welcome to the land of blogs! Nice piece here. Hope to see you join my newbie party sometime, I host every Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, thanks for the encouraging words! I totally love the desk you did, sooo beautiful! perfect choice for the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning piece Candy! you did a great job. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I have question for you. Do you totally sand off the varnish from the previous finish before starting? Have you ever tried the product that you wipe on that is supposed to make it so you don't have to sand? I hate to sand and am looking for a way to avoid it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I do use a deglosser sometimes. But, I usually sand, especially if the piece has alot of shine still on it. From what Im hearing, you and I both need to use the chalk paint. I haven't tried that yet, but hope to soon. I hear you can paint over ANYTHING..........no prep work. Sounds too good to be true.

      Delete
  5. I love it Candy..If I lived closer to you It would be going home with me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I wish you were closer too!! 8-)

      Delete
  6. That looks great Candy! I have always known that you did some very nice work, but not being close engough to come by your store every week we missed it. But,now I get to see it as you complete it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aahhhhh. Thanks, Darel. Im waitin to see more pics of your yard...........and your 'other' art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find! I just love the black top!

    http://shabbysweettea.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tiffany, Tori and Elyse. Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too talented! Great table!
    XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks AWESOME! Love it! I have used the chalk paint and I think I am in the minority but I did not love it. I painted my buffet and it was pine....after three coats it was still bleeding through. Not what I was told would happen :0 So I drug it out in my front yard and spray painted it....done!

    I haven't tried it again, but I should....

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on this piece! It's looks fantastic! And thank you for stopping by!!
    Stefani

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay. . .I've been poking around...your shop and makeovers are fabulous! Thanks for popping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And you have no word verification and your profile is linked to both your email and your blog! Perfect! Those are things so many newbie bloggers forget or neglect to do! I can't begin to tell you the number of comments or questions I can't answer because they don't link back or how many comments I write that never get posted because I get tire of Word verification! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!