Thursday, March 8, 2012

NEW LIFE FOR AN OLD TABLE

Let's take this oooold, outta date table and bring it into 2012.  I think this style was called French Provincial, 1970's maybe,  but we're gonna call the 'NEW LOOK' ......SHABBY Country French.  To start, just sand the entire table so that the paint will 'grab' onto it.  Love my lil Mouse by Black and Decker to do this job.


And, don't forget to take off the hardware.  Then sand the drawer. 
Okay, ready to paint.  I wanted a French blue for a Country French Table.........soooo, since I didn't want to to spend $$$ for another gallon of paint, I looked to see what I might have.  Found a pretty, dark blue that I had used to paint an entrance door about 6 years ago.  I thought it couldn't possibly still be good.  It was a Walmart brand, Color Place, in Centennial Blue, and can you believe, when I opened it, it was still like new.  So, I poured some Home Depot, Behr white into a jar, then mixed the blue into the white.  When mixing, it seems better if you mix the dark into the light.  It's TOO easy to get TOO dark TOO fast.  So add small amounts of the dark, then mix until you get the color you desire.  And, yes, I do mix brands.......never any problem.  Just be sure to never try mixing oil with acrylic.  But, you already knew that, didn't cha???


I gave everything two coats of paint, then let dry for at least an hour.  Take the sander and distress around the edges and places where the piece would have gotten normal wear.  I then use a stain or glaze.....my favorite is Minwax Special Walnut......and brush over the entire piece.  Then, take a soft cloth or paper towel and wipe back, leaving just enough to give the piece character or 'age'.  Let dry.  This will stay tacky for hours in this damp cool weather, but will dry faster in warmer weather (duh).  I liked the handles as they were, so just popped them back on, AND..........WA LA...........French Provincial becomes Shabby Country French.




I think she's pretty.  Tell me what cha think???

19 comments:

  1. I think she's pretty too! I love that style of table and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Girls. COME BACK TO SEE ME SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy she's such a doll those legs! Excuse me I have a furniture leg fetish. lol. Thanks for stopping by and leaving kind words about my buffet and I'm now following you.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was cruising around blog land today and just happened here.I am so glad I found you. I love ALL of your furniture pieces. I also love to visit Tenn.
    I have been contemplating renting a booth in my area. I guess I have been trying to do a little research. So...does a person need a lot of stuff to start a booth? Now I have a garage full of stuff and some furniture that needs to be painted but still am not sure if there is enough. What do you think? I would love to know your thoughts. Wish I was closer so I could visit your place.
    Thanks and take care :^ }

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Candy, thanks for following me, the table looks great, I love that style when it is painted, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candy.
    thank you for following me. Love the little table. You did a great job :) Following back atcha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful, I am your newest follower too:-)
    Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy dear, I absolutely LOVE your ADORABLE table!! I am redoing one similar to yours lol. I am not sure of the color I will do, but will remember your color choice and show you what mine looks like! (And would believe that my handles are EXACTLY the same as yours!! lol.) If you happen to know where I can find one more just like yours, please shed some light for me... (I save everyone I don't use, but unfortunately I don't :( have one like this) And as you can see... I still need one. Would appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks my sweet! :D
    Hope your having a wonderfully blessed day dear Carrie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi, So sorry, but no, I don't know where you can find another handle. But, I'm sure you will run across one.

      And, thanks for your sweet comments. Come back to visit soon.

      Delete
  9. IT's great, thanks for visiting www.missinformationblog.com following back

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks beautiful!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am following you now, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blue, such calm, beautiful colour!!
    Also I'm glad to know that you've never had a problem mixing different brand paints, I do that too and always wonder if it's OK so...Phew!lol
    Thank you for following me and I'm your newest follower too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kelley, Laura and Sayuri. Come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh I like the new color! You have a lot of fantastic projects over here - I've enjoyed scrolling through them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ηey Candy, it looks great! Thanks for dropping by my place earlier. We'll be in touch!
    Love, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  15. turned out wonderful!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!