Friday, June 1, 2012

SOOO SHABBY SWEET


I introduced you folks to my Mr. Fixit HERE.  Even if ya think it CAN'T be fixed (southern for repaired), take it to this man.



This poor little drop front secretary was in the fire that burned my house down a few years back.  I dragged it outta the house and into an old dirt floor garage where it sat stored for the next four years.  Then a few months ago, I decided to pull it outta the garage and take it to Mr. Fixit.  There was a hole burned into the front drop-down door already.  But, when I opened the door to the old garage, this thing fell forward and hit the ground.  Soooo, now the drop front door is torn from the secretary and has the bottom right corner broken OFF. 

So, off to Mr. Fixit's we go, the secretary's broken door and I.   He tells me, 'no problem'.   He has a decorative piece that he'll put over the burned hole, and he'll repair the break.  A few days later, he calls and off I go to pick up the door.

All excited to work on this poor creature, I start to sand her and find........yes, the foot had rotted away where it had sat in the damp dirt floor garage for toooo long.  So, back she goes to Mr. Fixit, this time the ENTIRE secretary.....door and all.  Again he makes a miracle and creates for her a prosthetic foot.

Finally............back home, I scrub her up a little and decide white chalk paint is what she needs.  Read this post for several recipes to make your own chalk paint.  My favorite is the Plaster of Paris recipe.

Here are BEFORE pictures.........AFTER MR. Fixit made his magic, but BEFORE I made mine.





And here she is sporting her new makeover.  My little grandson is playing Vanna and showing her off.  Thanks Jett.



For directions for this hand painted lampshade, take a look HERE.



Looks like I got just a little happy with the distressing..........but I like it anyway. 


The lion head pull was also painted with the same mixture, then lightly distressed.
Inside cubbies were spray painted cottage pink.   


And, here is the AFTER.  Most folks would have taken her to the dump.  But, I could see she still had potential.  What cha think? 



Linkin up at these parties:

http://madeinadaydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/hopstamp-32.jpg 

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/2012/05/transformation-thursday-no-154.html

http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/

http://chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.ca/2012/05/flaunt-it-friday-105.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:

http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2012/05/rustic-restorations-weekend-linky-party_31.html

http://www.findingfabulousblog.com/2012/05/frugalicious-friday-giveawaybeauty-box.html

http://t-g-life.blogspot.com/

http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2012/05/feathered-nest-friday_31.html

http://missmustardseed.com/2012/05/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-a-link-party-11/

http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com/2012/05/creative-inspirations-linky-party-16.html

http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/06/mop-it-up-mondays-19.html

http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/2012/06/avocado-green-and-the-60s-newbie-party-started.html

http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/06/welcome-to-another-week-friday-block.html

http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

42 comments:

  1. What a terrific result. Such a charming piece too!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific rescue! She looks great. We all need a Mr. Fixit in our area! :) Thanks so much for linking it up at Rustic Restorations Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Tammy. Yes, my Mr. Fixit is 91 years young and I don't know what I'll ever do without him. He's a treasure.

      Delete
  3. From burned to beautiful--you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candy: That is one sweet Larkin desk, and it came out of the ashes just beautifully..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy weekend to you Judy. Thanks for comin by. 8-)

      Delete
  5. The desk is adorable but I LOOOVE Mr. Fix-It!! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He truly is a jewel.....so sharp and full of fun.....and at 91 years young!!! Thanks for stoppin by. 8-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely repair. I can remember when I was a child, my mother had one of these. Love to see it finished. What a gem your handy man is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is that.

      Thanks from comin by Jeanette!!! Please come back often. 8-)

      Delete
  7. Roaming, visiting, and enjoyed your About Me!:) Take care, and have a wonderful pickin weekend!:)

    Kim ~ Lilacs
    LilacsNDreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhha, thanks Kim. I've been over to your place too and really enjoyed. Im now following you!!!

      Delete
  8. Your secretary turned out super cute...definitely worth saving!! Love Mr. Fix-it! You're so lucky to have him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for comin by. And, yes, he is a jewel.

      Delete
  9. That is so cute. I saw it on Facebook. I wandered your way on Saturday, but bought too many things on the way to visit you - and spend more money. I did see all the flags and crosses at the municipal area. I took lots of photos. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you. You should ALWAYS come to MY place first. 8-) I'll get cha next time.

      I'll be watchin for your pics of our City Hall. The Memorial Display is quite impressive.

      Thanks for stoppin by here.

      Delete
  10. The desk is cute....but Mr Fixit is cuter.....what a sweet old guy!
    Blessings, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is. Thanks so much for stoppin by. COME BACK TO SEE ME.

      Delete
  11. Hi Candy ... so glad that you saved that wonderful desk and thankful for Mr. Fixit. Looks great. I have also saved some pieces that should have been trashed, and felt very good about doing so.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, Thanks so much and thanks even more for coming by. COME BACK TO SEE ME. 8-)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lion's head totally makes the piece. Great color choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a neat pull, too. Thanks for stopping in. 8-)

      Delete
  14. Very nice transformation. Thanks for sharing and linking up to the newbie party. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. Hope to see you next week.

      Delete
  15. Mr. Fixit sounds like such a sweet man...what a blessing! Great job transforming this piece! It looks great! :)following through your FB page now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following, Michelle. And, yes, he is amazing. I don't know what I'll do without him if he ever leaves this world. 8-)

      Delete
  16. Very nice...an amazing save! Kdos!!!
    Thanks for coming by to link this up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey, and hope to visit you again next week. 8-)

      Delete
  17. Candy,
    This turned out great! I love that you painted it white and distressed it. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful day :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Hope to see you again tomorrow.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I need a Mr Fixit too. He did a great job and then you followed right up and did one too. Very nice : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AND thanks for visiting my blog. COME BACK SOON.

      Delete
  19. What a dear handyman he is! I wish he was in my life! I love that desk that you saved! It looks sweet in white and pink! You're so creative! I'm following you now! Thanks for visiting my blog and I appreciate your nice comments so much!
    Have a super wonderful summer!
    Be blessed! Linda @ Grandmalay's Daydreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. And you have a great summer too. 8-)

      Delete
  20. Wow, you did a terrific job! Definitely doesn't look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I have a little older gentleman who I can take things to and he can fix it like yours. So So handy! I love what you do with all your pieces. Happy pickin and paintin to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much. I don't know what I'd do without this dear old man. I hope he stays around for a long, long time. 8-)

      Delete
  22. Love how this turned out. Very nice! I am now following on linky and GFC.
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!